Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dust Proof Quilling Boxes - Tutorial

Hello All,

Addiction quilling! These two words sum up my state right now! Hehehe. In the Indian Quilling Guild on Facebook, there started a discussion about how to prevent dust from settling on our quilling projects! It IS a big problem in India, where things are dusty. Well, for bigger projects, one can always use shadow boxes but what about those cute little gift boxes we want to adorn with quilling?

Ah well, my idle mind got to work (actually, I had been thinking about it for quite a while now, since Aditi posted the query on IQG page!) and today, finally I could finalize the design of my dust-proof DIY project for quilling boxes :)

This is how they looked at the end (sorry for the bad quality picture):



The materials I have used are:

300 gsm Indigo card paper
Overhead projector transparency sheet

Voila! That is ALL that you need. Here is the video (pls excuse the background noises, I don't want to overwrite the sound at midnight :D):



As with my previous tutorial, the possibilities of variations are literally endless! You can change the shapes (and modify the sketch accordingly). I will try to post templates for triangular, circular and hexagonal boxes but feel free! ANY shape is possible if you work on the design.

I haven't pasted anything on the inside base but if you want, you can paste a scrap paper there and beautify te box even further. The upper edge of the transparent part can also be adorned with various embellishments. Just GO AHEAD an tinker around, let your creativity loose.

I don't yet know how to upload a downloadable document in a blog (I wanted to use only an A4 sheet, so I stuck to that but you can vary the sizes as you wish) but here is the image:



I used 2 cm depth for quilling motifs but you can vary the depth depending on what type of quilling you want there. I took a picture of the template I used and here it is:



The dotted lines are for folding and the solid lines are for cutting. Except for the inner square on right side. It is for cutting but I wanted to be able to see the pencil line underneath so I have made it dotted. The final dimension of the box is 10 cm x 10 cm. What I have made is the lid, you can make the box underneath, using any simple paper folding box tutorial from Internet. :) I have used some random quilling elements I had handy for pasting in the box but you go ahead - design your own! As I always say: Sky is just the beginning! :)

And well, my traditional video snapshots (in honour of Dr. Sonia, who is an AMAZING crafter and never refrains from posting tutorials of her work) follow:






















Entering this for Pollycraft challenge (#122 Anything but a card)...

Happy Quilling

Pritesh

PS: If my posts inspire you to create something on similar lines, I feel highly flattered. But please, do respect the effort I take in conceptualizing and executing, please give a direct link to my work when you are inspired by mine. Thanks for understanding........:-)

26 comments:

Syaz said...

I'm sure all Indian quillers will solve their problem after this, Pritesh..

Ann said...

Very nice tutorial for a cute, little box - thank you!

PaperCraftwithAditi said...

Wow Pritesh! You are just amazing ..tell me how do u get this much time in spite of managing a toddler at home?? thnaks ...thanks a lot fo tutorial....PLease email me template at vohra.aditi@gmail dot com.

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks Nur! :)
Thank you so much for dropping by Ann :)
You're most welcome Aditi. I must admit, I am a little underslept right now but I will survive! :D I'll post the template after I am through with writing the dimensions :)

Dr Sonia S V said...

Thank You Pritesh for posting the photos for me-- I think you know how I hate videos!!

Jovi said...

hi Pritesh... awesome work there... I would love to have the template. U have my email id already. just need a favour from you too... will mail ya ..

Jovi said...

ya even I was wondering how u manage... everybody's been frightening me too that I will have to stop crafting with the baby coming in soon... I need to learn from you dear...

Swarna V said...

this is a gr8 idea..
mail me the template please.
need one
swarna_raman@hotmail.com

thanks
swarna

Neli Quilling said...

Отново красоти!Благодаря много за уроците ,които показваш!Поздрави!

Unknown said...

Really pretty.I loved the boxes and the idea nad thanks for the tutorial

Sathya said...

very nice....Send me template to my email id too....
Thanks in advance Pritesh...Hope u have my email id....

Philippa said...

Pritesh, this is a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing ...

Szalonaisa said...

Pritesh I don't know how you find time for all your projects but... Thank you for shearing!!

Geetha Naik said...

Very nice tutorial !! Thanks for all your effort on this.

Dr Sonia S V said...

Dear Pritesh you are a darling for posting photos in my honor!!! I usually dont click on videos as I dont have the patience to sit through one!![Plus you-tube sometimes plays tricks and pauses and starts on it own here!]
However I did watch our beehive and found it fascinating...Thank You so much-- now addicted to it.Thank You for the link to pollycraft too

Pritesh Dagur said...

@ Sonia: Thanks a lot! I enjoy making tutorials and I totally understand that you don't like videos. The Internet ehre is superfast and I am spoilt by videos! :D
@ Jovi: Don't worry, time expands to fit all that you REALLY want to do! :)
@ Swarna: Thank you :)
@ Nelika: Thanks Neli! :)
@ Snehal: You are most welcome :)
@ Sathya: Thanks Sathya, template sent! :)
@ Philippa: You're most welcome dear! :)
@ Szalonaisa: As I said, time expands to fit all that you REALLY want to do! :)
@ Geetha: You're most welcome :)
@ Sonia: I totaly understand! :) I know that beehive can be totally addictive :)

Teddie Seeley said...

You are so clever, thank you.

Joey said...

These are so pretty and such a nice gift idea too, love your quilling. thanks for joining us at pollycraft. Joey x

aureliaeugenia said...

You are a darling,sweet and helpful for everyone.Thanks for sharring.
hugs,
aurelaeugenia

Coca Matei said...

thanks,ingenios!

Creative Thinker said...

Very Nice tutorial.Thanks for sharing.

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks Teddie, Nagela, Joey, Aurelia, Matei and Creative Thinker :)

Evita said...

Wow! I am newly introduced to your blog and just cant take my eyes of each and every post :) You have inspired me!!

I have a question.. where did you find the self adhesive tapes. I did not seem to get it here in India.
Evu

Pritesh Dagur said...

Hi! Evita, just try in some stationery stores. I have bought it in India before, it should be available. :)

sp24 said...

you are very talented.. :)
are you able to send me a template for the box please..?

Pritesh Dagur said...

If you could please send me your e-mail address at pritzd@gmail.com, I will send the template :)