Monday, January 9, 2012

Tutorial after forever :)

Hello All,

I so missed making tutorials that I HAD TO make one today! :D Here is my tutorial for using your shredder is more ways than just plain shredding of paper :) I used Kathy's Pad Challenge colours as the starting point and just rolled and rolled :) I must thank Sharenya for her exclamation when a paper shredding went wrong! She planted the idea in my head that we can try something like this with the paper that otherwise was termed spoiled! :D

You can try a host of variations of this, cut straight (as opposed to at an angle the way I have done!),cut deeper, shallower or leave the shredded ends unrolled, using multiple layers of end-shredder papers, using printed papers, two sided papers.....................sky is just the beginning for variations :) The shredded ends can even be made with hands by those who don't have a shredder. It will be a bit of work but worth trying, I guess :)

I will be posting a tutorial on how you can use your shredder as a fringer the next time. Just need some time to get that going :)

Here is the card I ended up making.. (I feel the card is still incomplete but I just ran out of ideas for 'filling it up' and will take it up later :)


I am registering the card for Kathy's Lily pad Palette challenge

Here is the video (followed by snapshots for slow internet connections!) for making the background...


SNAPSHOTS:




As I said, I have put the paper in at an angle, but you can do it straight too :)








Those (lucky!) ones who have tape runners can use the runners, I don't have one so I use glue :)


I love to make my own scrapbook like patterns on paper, so I am using a gold glitter gel pen. You can effectively use a scrapbook paper as well :)




I decided to edit this post because I got so many queries about the shredder I have used. It is a Ryman Personal A4 shredder (mine is a lurid pink colour though :D), which has an inlet width of 22 cm (it is slightly more than the short edge of an A4 paper). It shreds paper up to 120 gsm or so (I know I push its limit) to strips of slightly more than 3 mm width. I bought it online frmo UK but since they don't deliver to Sweden (delivery ONLY inside UK), I had a friend send it to me by parcel.

The shredder cost only 5 pounds but the delivery (Ryman's charges plus charges for getting it to Sweden) came to 16 pounds. So, totally, it cost me 21 pounds (I know it's expensive!).

For people in India, something similar but USB powered is available from Ebay India. For people in UAE, I think Shaikha stocks a similar shredder but made by Draper. I don't know its specifications but you can ask her. For USA, here is the link.

Hope that inspires you too to create something completely new :)

Happy Quilling

Pritesh

PS: If my posts inspire you to create something on similar lines, I feel highly flattered. But please, do respect the effort I take in conceptualizing and executing, please give a direct link to my work when you are inspired by mine. Thanks for understanding........:-)

28 comments:

Quilltique Paradise said...

This is nice..I will try it too.Unfortunately I don.t have a shredder like yours but I guess it can work with a cutter too right??:P
Good Job:P

chillin with Quillin said...

Awesome idea, my shredder is very small, where did you get yours?
Paula

dawny said...

hiya, can i just say, that i think your work is brilliant, and you are definately an inspiration to us less talented mortals. i love the things you do. keep up with the good work. hugs xxx dawny

Artes de NĂ¡gela said...

Great idea!
I loved it!

cristina.simaika said...

Hi, hor blog is very very cool! Nice card, I love the way you mix drawings with quilling!

Let me ask you, what's the brande of your Shredder? I've been having a hard time cutting the paper myself since where I live there not as much options of quilling paper to buy.. (cristina.simaika@gmail.com)

Azlina Abdul said...

What a cool idea Pritesh!!! But my shredder is pretty small..I wonder if I can do the same. Will give it a try ! Thanks for sharing! :)

Neha Jain said...

awesome...pritesh...ur shredder cuts 3mm strips or what?
n how much it costs if i want one?

Hussena said...

i love this card and your tutorial what an clever idea you combine quilling so well with other media's ...and as always your quilling is simply beautiful.

Swarna V said...

hey pritesh,
this is an awesome idea of urs...but dont have shredder.. so did with fringer scissors. and the results were almost same.
Thanks for sharing .
swarna

Anastasiaw2008@gmail.com said...

You are so good at tutorials Pritesh. I just cannot do it :(
But I always enjoy and learn from your vedios. Thanks for it:)

Jyoti Agrawal said...

Thats a wonderful idea Pritesh. Thanx for sharing.
Did u order the shredder online?? where did u get it from?

Mihaela said...

You are very creative, have so many great ideeas! Beautiful card, thanks for sharing!!!

Pritesh Dagur said...

I have updated the post with the information about the shredder. I hope you all find it useful.

@Madalina: You can do it with hand or even with a fringing scissors as Swarna pointed out :)
@Paula: I have added the information :)
@Dawny: Don't say that Dawny, everyone is creative, I just maintain a blog to document my ideas, that is all :)
@Nagela: Thank you :)
@Cristina: I have added the information :)
@Noor: Even a small shredder will work Noor, just that it will create smaller edge-shredded papers and hence, probably smaller cards.
@Neha: I have added the info :)
@Hussena: Thank you so much! :)
@Swarna: As I stated in my post - Sky is just the beginning! Go try variations!
@Anastasia: :) You ARE good at tutorials, I am just more regular :D
@Jyoti: Yes, I did order it online but a friend had to send it to me :)
@Mihaela: Thank you :)

Sathya said...

very nice ....

vedha said...

Really nice.....

kiddo said...

Great idea and a very nice result! Love the card! Thank you for sharing!

Indira Tanwar said...

Another great idea from you!! Thanks for sharing Pritesh!!

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks Sathya, Vedha, Irina and Indira :)

Prasanthi Viswanadh said...

So nice idea dear.....thanks for sharing...

Prasanthi
http://creativecrafts-arts.blogspot.com

Teddie Seeley said...

You are not only clever, you are very generous with your tutorials.
Thank you,
Teddie

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks Prasanthi and Teddie :)

Szalonaisa said...

wow! So many post that I don't know where should I leave a comment, or maybe I should leave one... Pritesh you are unbelievable!!

Nupur Bhatia said...

Hi Pritesh,

I have been following your blog for some time and am always delighted to see your creations and tutorials. Keep up the good work!

I picked up the wonderful hobby of quilling about a year ago. I read in this post that you live in Sweden. I have recently relocated from Stockholm to Dubai. What a pity we didn't get to meet in Sweden. I hadn't found anyone in Sweden pursuing the same hobby. I am travelling to Stockholm end of this month. If you are in town, maybe we can catchup.

Anonymous said...

oh I love this.. definitely trying this out :)

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks Szalo, you're a sweetheart! :)
Oh sure Nupur! I am here at the month end but leaving on 2nd in the morning. So, let me know what your plans are! :)
Aditi, GO AHEAD is the word! :)

Kathy said...

Wow what an awesome tutorial!! I think I will stick to coloring..lol
Your card is amazing and thanks for taking the time to show the "how to"
Thanks for playing along with us at "Kathy's Lily Pad Palette " Color Challenge.

Arlene said...

I am always amazed at your work. So time intensive and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!
!#: Sorel Women's Helen Of Tundra Boot... The Cheapest