Tuesday, March 13, 2012

After a long hiatus - Quilled Lettering Tutorial

Hello All,

After a very very long break, I am back, with a tutorial :) On my Facebook page, so many people asked me for a tutorial on making quilled letters. It is really simple, precision being the only thing to be kept in mind. So, here is the tutorial for making a simple (font Arial) H:


First of all, I took a print of the letter (a part of the word HOME). For outlining, I've used 220 gsm brown colour paper and the base is 120 gsm metallic gold paper. I will recommend using a heavier paper for the outline as this paper will take the strain of the elements being filled inside the letters.

From the 220 gsm brown paper, I've hand-cut 4 mm strips (21 cm length). By placing the strips on the outline, I've marked the places where the strip will need to be bent:


Using a pin, I applied a very precise line of glue over the outline of the letter H:



Then, very carefully (using a a pair of forceps), I placed the paper strip over the outline and held it in place for 20 seconds:


Continue with the other outlines in the same way:


Continue with the new strip and your outline will be ready! :)


It would be ideal to do the whole letter with one strip but sometimes, the lengths are insufficient. This will lead to joints. In order to make the joints less conspicuous, use one of the bending points for making a joint. Put a thin line of glue on the edge of the strip and glue the new strip there:



For letters with curves, like O, P, C, G etc, soften the paper by passing it between your thumb and index finger. This will curl the paper up and measuring and handling the curves would be much easier.

I hope this tutorial helps you all and there will be more quilled lettering for me to see :)

After making the outline, you can either quill in it, or around it. An easy and effective way to fill the letters is using random quilling elements (circles, marquises, teardrops etc). You can also use beehive technique to fill the letters. As I have always maintained, sky is only the beginning :)

So, go ahead, experiment :)
 
Happy Quilling

Pritesh

PS: If my posts inspire you to create something on similar lines, I feel highly flattered. But please, do respect the effort I take in conceptualizing and executing, please give a direct link to my work when you are inspired by mine. Thanks for understanding........:-)

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post.
I used to apply the glue directly on the strip for lettering. Let me try your idea and see how that works.

Anastasiaw2008@gmail.com said...

Usefull tips as always. Thanks Pritesh :)

quilled paper paradise said...

An excellent tutorial. I have a problem of how to paste without trace. :))) My hand is not always peaceful. And I'm going your way next time. Thank you.

Dr Sonia S V said...

Welcome back and awesome clearly explained tutorial Pritesh!

PMT~ Meg said...

Lovely to have another tutorial from you, Pritesh! I like your technique for this and I will try it as soon as I get time. I usually make my outlines by wrapping joined strips around pins several times. (I tear the ends of strips to be joined so that they are less obvious.) Your technique promises to be very neat and precise, especially at the corners. Meg Crawford ~ Polly & Meg's Treasures

SUSAN said...

Thanks for sharing, Pritesh

Teddie Seeley said...

Welcome back Pritesh, another informative tutorial, you are an awesome lady.

Molly Smith said...

YAY, so glad to see you back! thanks for the tutorial and great photos.
hugs from Texas xo
-Molly

k@rin said...

hello pritesh,

thanks for showing us how you do that.
I made last month also a name. You can find it in the link below.

http://creakarin.blogspot.com/2012/02/verjaardagskado.html

It was a birthday present for my sister in law. And I have had on order from my brother to make the same in his name.

Please try out the link. And see how I finished it. Thanks

karin

Ann Martin said...

Very nice, Pritesh!

Szalonaisa said...

Welcome back Pritesh :) Nice to see you again!!
Thanks for the tutorial!

Pritesh Dagur said...

You're all most welcome! I hope I helped in whatever small way I could :)

MEGHA said...

NICE AND AMAZING TUTORIAL.THANKS PRITESH.

Giftarts said...

Lovely and neat... i too finished a Name Plate similar to it... will soon update on my blog...
love yr work always!!!

Soraya said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial! i needed so much something like this because me method is way too complicated!

Srishti Chawla said...

I'm new to quilling...thanks for d lovely tutorial:]

Unknown said...

Hi Pritesh, I am almost two months late to see this post. But the tutorial is really nice. It really looks a little scary to me right in the begining but will try it after I get better at regular quills. Will post my work with credit to you.
Thanks for this tuts...
You do wonderful!
Keep Posting please!!!
XOXO

Unknown said...

very cool..

Jasleen Kaur said...

thanks for such a clear and precise explanation. Would definitely try it. :)

Anonymous said...

Instead of sticking the letter outline down, i saw someone pin the shape in place. The page with the words was placed on styrofoam so the pins would stay. Then they filled up each letter by sticking each quilled piece into place. This way you can lift the entire quilled letter off the page n position where u want.

Ridma Krishny (HRC) said...

Very useful....

Unknown said...

I tried making it for a fathers day card!!
http://qualityquilling.blogspot.in/2014/06/happy-fathers-day.html

Unknown said...

Thank you very much Pritesh(: i truly am inspired by all of the wonderful quilled typography art and one day If I do start my site after becoming as or nearly as talented as your hand is at this awesome art form-yes i will provide a direct link to u. For sharing w me great tips on how to do the letters best. God bless and thank u again! From Cleveland,Ohio,USA